Home » General » Copyright and information literacy

Copyright and information literacy

The Center for Intellectual Property will host a Community Conversation on July 19 from 1-2pm EST. If you are interested in attending this free, virtual event which is for CIP members, please contact Kathleen Collins by June 27. While it appears to be geared toward the U of Maryland audience, there will undoubtedly by some excellent ideas for you to incorporate into your teaching at CUNY. Here’s the description from the Center’s site:

Join the Community Conversation with Mark de Jong, Document Management Librarian and Institutional Liaison, UMUC Academic Center at Largo. The discussion topics include Best Practices in Copyright Literacy, including Staff Training and Development issues.

The UMUC Library supports the educational mission of UMUC by educating students, faculty, and staff in the use of library and information resources and services, emphasizing the critical importance of information literacy knowledge and skills for success in today’s information-rich world, Partnering with The Undergraduate School, The Graduate School, and UMUC faculty worldwide to promote and embed information literacy within the curriculum, and Developing and managing extensive online library resources and user-centered services for UMUC students, faculty, and staff worldwide.

1. Hello CUNY – I believe there might have been a misunderstand regarding the nature of my presentation. While I am proud to say that UMUC strongly supports information literacy and the library, my topic was specific to copyright literacy, i.e., educating staff, faculty, students, etc. about copyright basics (staff for this particular presentation). The last paragraph of the event description in this blog came from my library’s instruction team page and not the CIP event description. My apologies to anyone who thought my “community conversation” would cover blending IL and (c) – which is entirely workable but not what I was asked to discuss. I hope you continue to tune in to the CIP’s community conversations as they can be excellent sources of information! My best, Mark