Home » IceBreaker Responses

IceBreaker Responses

Icebreaker responses

Q1 : Information Literacy Teaching : What is one thing you tried for the first time this year? How did it go?

Breathing. It went great!

Word mapping as a way of breaking down a large topic into many sub-topics (and generating keywords). Always thought it sounded too simple, but it went great! Students enjoyed it and were able to use it to articulate much more focused research questions.

Taking a brief break—asking the students to stand and stretch—after a unit in a long (75 min) instruction session.

Part 1: Teaching database searching as part of IL. Part 2: Pretty well! Everyone was happy except me…

Making a v. specific LibGuide instead of visiting a class (in this case, it worked well!)

PollEverywhere! And implementing a research log – Emma

Factitious game. It went great, come see how!

Trying to game in every class/course. It went well and built trust for follow ups.

Developing course/assignment-related guides embedded in Blackboard with the new LTI tool – being piloted right now, but faculty are excited about it.

1. Formative assessment: What are your next steps in research? And then sharing a summary of results – and some expert suggestions – with instructor. 2. Went well, but time-consuming.

Q2: Information Literacy Teaching: What is one thing you want to try for the first time next year? Why?

More peer observation—I’d like to see what my colleagues are doing.

More autobiography when I teach

Teaching IL to journalism students because they are requesting it! (Although not with these words.)

UX of our website, because I can see that it’s not great but want to know more concretely what would be better for our students. I guess that is not directly about teaching. In general, I want to find more ways to be more constructivist in my teaching.

Flipped classroom

More authentic convo and listening. Reflective discussions.

Meeting more ESL needs in any possible way

New activity I’ve been thinking about to help students integrate their own voice with voices from outside sources.

Q3: Summer reading : What is something you recommend reading next?

Baldwin, If Beale Street Could Talk

Getting Schooled Garret Keizer

Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind

Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy

The Throwback Special by Chris Bachelder – I would never had read it based on the premise (masculinity, football) but it is hilarious and smart (and humane and lovely).

Anything by Nnedi Okorafor

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

The Self as Subject: Autobiographic Research and Libraries (subtitle paraphrased)

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

To Throw Away Unopened – Viv Albertine (memoir)

Meg Wolitzer – The Female Persuasion (novel)

La Fiesta del Chivo (Feast of the Goat) by Mario Vargas Llosa

Self as Subject: Autoethnographic Research into Identity, Culture, and Academic Librarianship

Q4: Summer listening : What is something you recommend listening to next?

99% Invisible – about design, but writ large – urban planning, flags…okay, subject list doesn’t sound inspiring, but it’s great! 99pi.org

Alice Isn’t Dead – weird Americana horror fiction podcast

Janelle Monae

Memoirs of a Geisha soundtrack – great for concentrating

Revisionist History

Radio Ambulante (spanish-language news – I’m learning/brushing up on Spanish)

Indoor Voices – podcast by Kathleen Collins and Steve Ovadia –CUNY’s own!!

Judge John Hodgman (podcast) – funny, smart, and totally ridiculous- a break from political stress etc.

Dress History