Iris Finkel, Reference and Instruction Librarian/Visiting Lecturer Hunter College Libraries
- Elisabeth Oliu (Middlesex County College Library)
- Peter Hare (Bank Street College of Ed.)
- Trevar Riley-Reid (City College)
- Anne Leonard (NYC College of Technology)
- Alexandra Rojas (LaGuardia CC)
- Hunter: Iris presented her experience in Modernism and the Image
- What worked?
- Being proactive by following student blog posts and commenting when appropriate
- Training on finding images from open access sources
- Research guidance
- What didn’t?
- Not enough in-class instruction time for librarian
- What worked?
- Has brown bag lunches for library faculty to review different databases(Alexandra suggested that Jeff use CC license on website)
- Time – suggest attend 1x a month to establish relationship with students
- Scale – how to scale with limited amount of librarians
- Suggest embedding in class 1x a month vs. one shot
- Use different platforms for communicating with students
- Example: City Tech Open Labs
- Laguardia Center for Teaching and Learning – Inquiry assignments; information literacy sessions for faculty; application to participate
- PDF of Iris Finkel’s PowerPoint presentation
- ACRL Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. (2011).
- Daugherty, A. L. & Russo, M. F (Eds.). (2013). Embedded Librarianship: What Every Academic Librarian Should Know. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC (Worldcat/CUNY Catalog)
- Hanggi, K. & Valk, A. (2014, Jun 27). Embedded Librarian in the Multimodal Classroom.
- Hattwig, D., Bussert, K., Medaille, A., & Burgess, J. (2013). Visual Literacy Standards in Higher Education: New Opportunities for Libraries and Student Learning. Libraries and the Academy. V.12, N.1 . January 2014. pp 61-89. The Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved from Project Muse.
- Kvenild, C. & Calkins, K. (Eds.) . (2011). Embedded Librarians: Moving Beyond One-Shot Instruction. Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries. (Worldcat/CUNY Catalog)